2010-10-13 | By: Knuxchan

Outline Revisited

It's about time I revisit my NaNo outline again. I was looking around for some Novel writing/outling software to see if any of them would be of use to me, but it's taking me quite a bit of time to play with the different software and learn how to even use the things! I'm not sure if I even need one. I just wanted to try and see if it makes the writing process that much smoother, or does it cause more harm than good. My idea of 'outlining' has been writing down notes in Notepad/Wordpad. I know that's probably a horrible way of doing things, but then again I'm a weird person with a weird way of organizing my thoughts. I like to venture out every so often and see if there are ways to make things easier.

So far, the two programs I've tried have been yWriter and Storybox. I wanted to try and get yWriter on my eeePC since it uses a Linux environment, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to install software on that computer. Despite me having my eeePC for almost 2 years now, I am still Linux-challenged. The Windows version of yWriter looks very intimidating. There's just so many places to put information, it almost looks a little too organized for me. Storybox looked like a neat little program to try, but again, I was left with the same thing. So many places to fill in the blanks and not really sure how to fill them in properly so I don't get confused.

I would like to check out LiftLift and FocusWriter (though I think the latter is more for when NaNoWrMo actually starts) next and see how those are. It would be really good if these programs came with a sample file with the information filled in so I can get a general idea of how to do things. I tend to learn things faster when there are templates/samples so the program interface doesn't seem so intimidating.

9 comments:

A.J. Danmar said...

To install programs in Ubuntu-Linny distros, like Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Mint, all you need to do is find Synaptic Package Manager in the Administration tab.

Type the program name [in this case "yWriter"] into SPM's search box, it will pull up a list, and yWriter should be one of the packages.

Click on the box to the left of the package, select Install, then at the top of SPM there's a button labeled Apply. Click that, let it do its thing, and yWriter [or whatever program you installed] will be in your programs list.

Hope that helped. :]

- A.J.

Claudie A. said...

I tried yWriter last year and didn't like it so much. There just isn't enough flexibility for me. I have Wrimos who love it, though, and I'll admit it's good to compare chapter or scene length.

TayLyee said...

Hm. . . I use mac so I can't really tell you anything about those programs. I use Scrivener, which is pretty awesome and there's supposed to be a windows version soon. . . I hope you find something cause the right writing software can make a world of difference.

Lola D said...

I agree I have what seems like every free writing software out there. Most of it I don't like!
ywrite has way too MUCH stuff and the interface isn't so friendly. For me it's too mechanical looking. I have Supernote cards- it's ok but...
I use Liquid Story binder. It has a lot of features I have no idea how to use, however, the ones that I do know are very helpful and I don't feel disadvantage because I don't know all the fancy stuff in it. I even bought it after my free trial was over!

As much as I love computers and practically die whenever my internet goes out, I still am a paper/pencil gal. I always print out hard copies. Just mkaes me feel writerly :)

Unknown said...

Hi Knuxchan,

Are you interested in non-computer-based outlining? You could use notecards (one per scene) noting things on them like what each scene is about and who's in it. And if you have an idea about story structure and/or different types of plot arc, you could write up scene notecards to fit.

Just an idea! I'm using Mindola SuperNotecard (SNC) which is a computer-based version of paper notecards. It works for me, but I usually write long-hand (when I'm not doing GothNo or NaNo) and I plan long-hand too. Entering my notes into SNC is an additional step.

Best of luck with your outlining, whatever route you decide to take!

Knuxchan said...

Thanks, you guys for the advice! (and thank you, AJ for showing me how to install stuff on that eeePC!)

I guess my biggest problem (like with anything) is that there's a lot of good software out there, but I can't seem to figure out which one will best suit my needs and not be overly confusing trying to use it or find information when I need it. Liquid Story Binder is another program I planned to check out.

Liselm: traditional methods of outlining has always been an option for me, but I was just trying to find ways to reduce extra clutter and keep everything in one place (like a computer). But if it happens that I can't really find a piece of software that fits my needs, then perhaps I might go to the more traditional methods of notecards.

J. Rosemary Moss said...

I love my yWriter! It took me a few hours of fiddling to get used to it, but now it holds all my character notes, character pics and character outlines. I generally write each scene there too, transferring to Word when I'm done. So, yeah, I'm a believer!

But it's an individual thing. Nothing wrong with writing your outline by hand if that's what works for you. :)

Sarah Ahiers said...

i have a writing software that cost me a pretty penny and which i never use. ever.
That said, i have a friend who uses a writing software and she LOVES it. But i tend to write linearally and she writes random chapters, so she likes that the software lets her put it all together

Anonymous said...

My Wrimo sent me a link last night to something called Storybook, which looks a bit like a simplified Liquid Story Binder (I haven't used either, so don't hold me accountable!)

http://storybook.intertec.ch/joomla/

It may be of help :) I use stickies for all of my planning ;)

Post a Comment