I finally hit 50k as of yesterday afternoon. It was a very long and tiresome road the entire way through. I'm not going to stop writing, though. I feel as though I left a lot of things out of the story that I wanted to tell/retell. I'm not going to delete the words I've written, though. I'm going to be adding new words in red letters. December will be the time for deletions :)
At least now I can really relax on my 3k wordcount and just concentrate on getting the recommended 1667. The main bulk of my story has been told, so now, it's just time to go back and fill in those details (or rewrite them in red). This will sort of be my pre-editing to December's editing. Won't that be fun...
Part of me regrets not having a full-blown outline. There were times I was stuck as to what I should be writing next. I wanted to tell everything, but I kept getting overwhelmed to the point I just get writer's block. I can understand why people outline, but it seems almost 99.999% of the time, they end up pretty much deviating from the intended outline and writing something complete different than intended. That's certainly not a bad thing, but I think it's good to have that outline there for reference, at least -- just in case you get those sudden moments of writer's block of trying to figure out what sequence to tell next.
NaNoWriMo 2010 has been a success so far hitting 50k, but I'm going to enjoy every day of it all the way to the very last day and continue writing to my heart's content!
2 days ago




4 comments:
I had a great writing outline before I started, but like you said, i ended up deviating from it. Now, I try to outline several chapters ahead to allow me the breathing room to deviate without feeling like I've wasted time. Congrats on making 50k!
Good job hitting the 50k mark! And so early!
Maybe that's what I'll do to try and help out my word count. I'll go back and re-write now in a different color, and just add those words onto my final number...
Congrats on the 50K!
Mazel tov on hitting 50,000!
I have the same ambivilent relationship with outlines. I'm glad I wrote one this time, though, as it allowed me to jump ahead at spots. Of course, I might have to make serious changes to the later stuff since I've deviated from that outline. But I figure none of the writing is wasted!
(The outline didn't help me reach 50,000 words, lol, but that's ok. Since it looks like I'm going to end up with a solid first draft, I don't mind finishing in December instead of November.)
Post a Comment