2010-09-22 | By: Knuxchan

GothNoWriMo

Shortly after going through tons of writing space photo threads on the OLL site, I was motivated to get my own in order. I spent over 6 hours cleaning my room trying to make a nice writing space in the corner in preparation for NaNoWriMo. I managed to finish it, though I still feel totally exhausted. I do love the feeling of accomplishment! I'm also still working on the plots for my NaNoWriMo novel.

I spent some time online researching other writing contests/events going on throughout the year. Two that particularly caught my eye were the 3-Day Novel, and GothNoWriMo events. 3DN has already come and gone (and I didn't have the money for it), but GothNoWriMo is coming up in less than 10 days. This particular event caught my eye because I do have a bit of an affinity for the gothic culture. I'm still a complete newbie, however, when it comes to writing in that genre. And I'll be honest, I don't think I've read many books of the genre (I think Twilight has killed my motivation to really pick up one these days). I've had this story in my head which was derived from a D&D game I played way back when, which might make a good horror/gothic-themed story to try out for GothNoWriMo. Moreover, I think it will be a nice warm-up to do before NaNoWriMo, since my brain is itching to begin. If I do decide to do this, I'm going to try for 20k words -- a small novella, but ideal for someone like me who's just starting out and new to writing the genre.

I guess I'll have to decide something soon (and try and do some last-minute planning/outlining) -- the event is only 8 days away!

4 comments:

Carissa said...

I've never tried gothic, either. I agree, it would be a good warm-up for NaNoWriMo, plus it would give you some experience writing in a new genre. And that's always good to get out of your comfort zone once in a while.

Knuxchan said...

Yeah, I agree. I'm still doing some research to see how gothic lit is written. It's all very interesting. I think I would enjoy writing more things from this genre because from some of the things I've been reading, it sounds very similar to writing straight fantasy (which is what I generally write, anyway).

JesiMarie said...

Good luck with GothNoWriMo! I was going to do it with my roommate but I don't want to burn out during NaNo. That would be sad. So we're doing out GothNo story in January.

Knuxchan said...

Yeah, I'm taking it easy with this one, too. that's why I was only going for 20K words. I might be able to finish it before the month is over, so it will give me some time to get ready for NaNoWriMo. If I write about 3k words a day for 1 week, then I will be able to make the goal, no problem :)
Last year for NaNo, I set a daily goal of writing at least 3k words a day, and it turned out pretty good!

Post a Comment